Recurrent Corneal Erosion

I have been visually impaired for a week now.  Happy that I am on the road to recovery.  Last Friday morning I awoke to excruciating pain in my left eye.  No big deal, this has been happening to me for the past year and I was on the list to see the Ophthalmologist.  I went to work and as the day went on, the pain became worse instead of better, so I went home.  I had a lot to do as the book launch for my new book, “This Land, These Waters”, was to be held the next day.  I sent my son to the store to do some shopping for me.  By 5:00 p.m., the pain was HORRIBLE!  When my sister and niece arrived in town and came to see me, they said, “okay, let’s go to the hospital”.

At emergency, I had to wait, as there was a patient ahead of me being treated for a pulled back muscle.  The doctor checked my eye and phoned the specialist in Winnipeg who said I should go out to Winnipeg for Saturday at 1:00 p.m.  Sure, I was all for it.  I was given high blood pressure medicine because my blood pressure was obscene.  I wonder why.  Then they sent me home.  No pain meds, just advil.

Arrangements were discussed.  The book launch was cancelled.  Rick was able to get a day off of work and we left at 6:00 a.m. Saturday morning to drive to Winnipeg for the 1:00 p.m. appointment.  It’s about a six hour trip.  I had my eyes closed most of the time.

In Winnipeg, we found the eye clinic and I was hopeful to get some relief from what was happening.  The specialist, Dr. Van Der Zweep, was my Knight in Shining Armour.  He explained things to me and then he froze my eye and scraped off the membrane surrounding the injured spot and put a contact bandage on it.  We had to spend a night in the city and return the next day to have it checked again.  He took off the bandaid the next day because we had to travel back to Red Lake and he put a pressure bandage over the eye.

I can honestly say that I now have been to the city and have not seen it!  The whole time we were there, I could barely open my eyes, and only to look down and try to follow Rick’s foot steps.  Once he went to far ahead of me and I was left on the sidewalk, looking around because I had no clue where he went.  Of course he came back for me!  He’s not the coddling type and I am not either.  I was still trying to look normal and walk on my own.  I probably looked like a drunk woman staggering around who had been punched in the eye by her husband (who was walking ahead of her).

Yes, it was an experience I will never forget and hope not to repeat.  But, this disorder that I have has no cure and I am told I will have future flare-ups.  At least I will be better prepared next time and know what is happening.

I have learned that I can function with minimal vision.  I was able to shower, wash dishes, vacuum, etc.  Cooking is more difficult, so we have eaten a lot of take-out.  The hardest part is dealing with the pain.  You can’t cry because it makes it worse.






Sorry for the gross photos, but this is life eh?  I will post some pretty ones later.

And more on my new book next time!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s